CBHA Observes World Breastfeeding Week with Aug. 1st to the 7th with Special Events
CBHA has long recognized the benefits breastfeeding brings to the health and wellbeing of babies. The advantages extend well beyond basic nutrition. In addition to containing vitamins and nutrients babies need in the first six months of life, breast milk is packed with disease-fighting substances that protect babies from illness. It is for this reason that the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months (although any amount of breastfeeding is beneficial). Scientific studies have shown that breastfeeding is good for the mother as well.Sara Santoyo has worked as a lactation specialist in Family Services Department for a number of years. “We want to support expectant mothers throughout pregnancy with information about breastfeeding their babies,” she said. “I meet personally with patients throughout their pregnancy and attend childbirth classes as well as other sessions to provide information about breastfeeding.”
Santoyo also visits new moms at the hospital shortly after delivery. Moms are given Sara’s phone number so she can be reached if a mother has breastfeeding questions or encounters problems. She is available for in-home visits to provide additional support for breastfeeding moms.
Special activities are planned at all CBHA clinics to celebrate World Breastfeeding Week.
- Wednesday, August 1st - Booths providing breastfeeding information and activities will be set up in clinic lobbies all day.
- Friday, August 3rd - Watch video interactions of Santoyo speaking with moms on CBHA’s social media , and then schedule a visit to speak with her about your own concerns or challenges.
- Monday, August 6th - Look for a breastfeeding knowledge quiz on social media. Winners will be eligible to win prizes.
- Tuesday, August 7th - Watch an educational video of Santoyo interviewing CBHA pediatrician Dr. Gabe Barrio on social media and learn more about breastfeeding and children’s development.
Finally, on Tues., August 7th – Join CBHA at the Othello clinic from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. where we
will be holding a family-friendly party celebrating moms, with activities, such as:
- Karlee Kerr will be speaking on breastfeeding and nutrition
- Healthy snacks